Moosewood Restaurant and Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) are pleased to announce a partnership for the 2016 growing season, one Read more →
Get out the dill pickles! This is a wonderful sandwich. This is one of our favorite sandwiches at Moosewood. When it is on the lunch menu, the workers have to be chased out of the kitchen to ensure that there will be enough for the customers.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 8 ounces tempeh thinly sliced or cubed (5 to 7 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons tamari or other good soy sauce
- 4 slices of bread, preferably rye, toasted
- 1½ cups Russian Dressing
- 1½ cups sauerkraut, warmed
- ½ to 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- Sauté the onions and garlic in oil for 2 or 3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the tempeh and continue to sauté on low heat, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes. While the tempeh is browning, get the remaining ingredients ready.
- When the tempeh is crisp and lightly browned, add the soy sauce.
- Build the sandwiches on the toast by layering the tempeh mixture, Russian Dressing, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese.
- Broil the sandwiches until the cheese is melted.
- Serve piping hot.