Moosewood Restaurant and Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) are pleased to announce a partnership for the 2016 growing season, one Read more →
Yields about 8 cups
- 10 cups water
- 2 leeks, 2 large onions, or 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 4 or 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
- 10 garlic cloves, unpeeled and smashed
- ¼ teaspoon whole black peppercorns or Sichuan peppercorns
- 6 whole cloves
- 3-inch piece of fresh ginger root, sliced (about 1½ ounces)
- 4 or 5 dried shiitake (optional)
- 2 large parsley sprigs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large soup pot, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Strain the stock and use it right away, or refrigerate it in a covered container for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.