Available in Colors ShownNew Moosewood Caps
These bars are a very popular treat at Moosewood. They have a chewy cookie crust topped with a sweet lime custard. Only freshly squeezed lime juice will provide zing without bitterness. If you can’t resist the flavor of limes, you will definitely want to use the optional lime peel, although these bars are excellent without it.
Wash and finely grate the peels of 3 or 4 large limes before juicing them. If the limes are hard, soften them before peeling by rolling them on a counter with the heel of your hand, tossing them in a game of catch with your children, or throwing them on the floor. No kidding! They’ll yield more juice.
Total Preparation Time: 1 hour
Baking Time: 25 to 30 minutes for crust, plus 20 minutes for finished bars
Cooling Time: 1 hour
Equipment: nonreactive 8-inch square baking pan, food processor (optional)
Yields 12 bars
- ½ cup pecans
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup unbleached white flour
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- I cup sugar
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup unbleached white flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel (optional)
- 12 pecan halves, toasted (optional)
- Preheat the oven 325°.
- Butter the baking pan.
- In the bowl of a food processor or by hand, finely chop the pecans.
- Add the melted butter, flour, and brown sugar and process or blend with your fingers to form a crumbly mixture.
- Press the crust into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Stir in the lime juice, flour, and the lime peel, if using, and mix well until smooth.
- When the crust is baked, pour the lime custard into it and return the pan to the oven.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the topping, is firm to the touch.
- Cool in the pan for about 1 hour.