Available in Colors ShownNew Moosewood Caps
This is one of our often-requested recipes. It makes a velvety, rich, deep chocolate mousse-like pudding that has been frequently on the restaurant dessert menu since we can remember. Not cooked and with ricotta as the base, it’s just about the quickest and easiest dessert to make. You can eat it right away or refrigerate it to serve later.
It’s foolproof, and almost instant. Make sure the chocolate is well melted and use a good quality chocolate. At Moosewood we use good quality Belgian chocolate and Fair Trade chocolate in our desserts.
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted (1 cup of chips or pieces)
- 14 to 16 ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup, honey or agave syrup, or 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- fresh red raspberries, sliced strawberries or kiwi, or your favorite shaved dark chocolate
- Melt the chocolate on the stove top on very low heat, or in a microwave oven.
- In a food processor, whirl the melted chocolate with the vanilla and ricotta until evenly colored and very smooth.
- You'll probably need to scrape down the sides a couple of times.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, whip the heavy cream with the vanilla and sweetener in a bowl.
- Fold the chocolate-ricotta mixture into the whipped cream until evenly colored.
- Pour into dessert cups.
- Serve right away or chill.
- Garnish with one or two ripe, fresh, sliced strawberries, a few raspberries, or kiwi slice, or shaved dark chocolate.