Thanks to the Ithaca community who cheered us on at the Ithaca Festival Parade! Thanks to workers, friends and family Read more →
- 4 large cooking apples, such as Mutsu, Greening, or Rome Beauty
- ½ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup unsweetened apple juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Wash and core the apples, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Partially peel each apple in horizontal rings or vertical stripes.
- In a bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons of the maple syrup.
- Stuff the hollowed-out center of each apple with the nut mixture.
- Place the apples upright and close together in the pan.
- Combine the apple juice with the remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and pour around the apples.
- Cover the baking pan with aluminum foil and bake for about 4 5 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- Serve hot or cold with vanilla frozen yogurt, whipped cream,
EQUIPMENT: nonreactive 9-inch baking pan or pie pan