Moosewood Restaurant and Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) are pleased to announce a partnership for the 2016 growing season, one Read more →
- 1 bunch broccolini (10 to 12 stems) or 1 large broccoli crown
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat or multigrain bread
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese
- Dijon or yellow mustard
- Rinse the broccolini and chop it into ½ inch-long pieces.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, cook the broccolini and the garlic in the oil for 4 or 5 minutes, until the broccolini is bright green and just tender.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add about ¼ cup of water to the pan and steam the broccolini until the water has evaporated; remove from the heat.
- While the broccolini cooks, toast the bread.
- Grate the cheese or cut it into thin slices.
- Spread mustard on the toast and place on a broiler pan.
- Top each piece of toast with cooked broccolini and then cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot, open-faced.
Broccolini, a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale, was introduced
in supermarket produce departments a few years ago. It is milder tasting and more tender than broccoli, and the stalks don't need to be peeled.