Moosewood Restaurant and Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) are pleased to announce a partnership for the 2016 growing season, one Read more →
- 1 quart vegetarian mock chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup pastina, orzo, or similar small pasta
- 2 cups asparagus cut into 1½- to 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a soup pot, bring the broth to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook until almost al dente, about 4 minutes for pastina and 8 minutes for orzo.
- Add the asparagus and dill and simmer until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the asparagus cooks, in a bowl, whisk the eggs and lemon juice.
- When the asparagus is tender, whisk a ladleful of the hot broth into the egg-lemon mixture.
- Lower the heat and slowly pour the egg mixture into the soup in a thin stream, stirring briskly all the while.
- Continue to stir until the soup is thickened somewhat and heated through, a couple of
- minutes. (Constant stirring and low heat prevent the eggs from curdling.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Yields 5 cups
Variations: Other green vegetables, such as chopped spinach, broccoli, and kale, may be substituted for the asparagus.
For a smooth soup, puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.