Autographed and personalized copies of our many Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks make great gifts. Come in, sample one of our dips, Read more →
Bursting with a multitude of naturally sweet root vegetables and bolstered by red and/or white beans, this hefty soup makes a meal for 6 to 8 people —and you may have leftovers. It is, as with many soups, thicker and even more delicious the second day. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of water before reheating, if you want a brothier soup.
Yields 12 CUPS
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- 5 or 6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- 1 cup peeled and diced parsnips
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 1½ cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground dried rosemary or 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 3 cups canned tomatoes in juice, chopped or pureed
- 2 to 3 cups water
- ½ cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1½ cups cooked drained kidney beans (15-ounce can)*
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large nonreactive soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, and celery in the oil on low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in the salt, carrots, parsnips, and chopped fennel, and then cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.Add the sweet potatoes, ground fennel, oregano, red pepper flakes, and rosemary and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- (If the vegetables stick or begin to brown, add a splash of water.)
- Add the tomatoes, water, and, if using, the wine. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Add the beans and parsley and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve plain or topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
- SERVES 6 TO 8
* White and red kidneys are both fine, and if you prefer to substitute another type of
bean, go right ahead.
PER 11.25-OUNCE SERVING 178 CALORIES, 6.7 6 PROTEIN, 4.2 G FAT. 30.5 G CARBOHYDRATES. 0 .0 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL, 445 MG SODIUM. 2.7 G TOTAL DIETARY FIBER