Available in Colors ShownNew Moosewood Caps
Colorful, tasty, and full of vitamins and minerals from sweet potatoes, greens, and tofu, these burgers are both low-fat and high-fiber. What more could you want? Serve on a bun and add some optional smoked Cheddar cheese, tomato and onion slices, and pickles. Accompany with Alabama Hot Slaw and top the burgers with your favorite barbeque sauce, or Caramelized Onion Gravy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups grated raw sweet potatoes
- ⅓ cup minced celery
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup minced red bell peppers
- 2 cups stemmed and finely chopped raw collard greens or kale
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ cups cooked black-eyed peas (15-ounce can, drained)*
- 4 ounces firm tofu (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Generously oil a baking sheet.
- Heat the oil in a heavy or nonstick frying pan.
- Add the onions, garlic, and salt and sauté on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the grated sweet potatoes, celery, thyme, and allspice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the bell peppers and the collard greens or kale, cover, and cook on medium-low heat for another 5 minutes, until the greens are just tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the soy sauce and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a food processor, pulse the black-eyed peas and, if using, the tofu until the peas are mashed, but not smooth.
- Combine the sautéed vegetables with the mashed mixture and form into 4 patties.
- Bake on the prepared baking sheet for 20 minutes or until firm.
* ½ cup of dried black-eyed peas will yield about 1½ cups cooked.
PER 8-OUNCE SERVING: 188 CALORIES, 6.1 G PROTEIN, 4.4 G FAT, 32.5 G CARBOHYDRATES, 1.1 G SATURATED FATTY ACIDS, 0 MG CHOLESTEROL, 490.4 MG SODIUM, 5 GTOTAL DIETARY FIBER