Thanks to the Ithaca community who cheered us on at the Ithaca Festival Parade! Thanks to workers, friends and family Read more →
- 1 ½ cups unbleached white flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cold water or coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ pound semi-sweet chocolate
- ¾ cup hot water
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Equipment: 9-inch round or 8-inch square cake pan, 2-cup measuring cup, double boiler
- Preheat the oven to 375º.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, soda, salt, and sugar directly into the cake pan.
- In the measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, cold water or coffee, and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or a small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly.
- There will be pale swirls in the batter as the baking soda and vinegar react. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and set aside to cool.
- To make the optional glaze, melt the chocolate in a double boiler, microwave oven, or reset the oven to 300º and melt the chocolate in the oven for about 15 minutes in a small ovenproof bowl or heavy skillet.
- Stir the hot water and vanilla into the melted chocolate until smooth.
- Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate the glazed cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Preparation time for glaze: 15 minutes
Chilling time (if using glaze) 30 minutes
Reprinted from Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts , Copyright © 1997 by Moosewood, Inc. Clarkson N. Potter, Inc. New York, publisher.