Moosewood’s summer dinner hours are 5:30-9pm nightly.Read more →
- 4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1½ tablespoons old bay seasoning
- 2 cups unbleached white flour
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a food processor or standing mixer, blend together the cheese, butter, and Old Bay Seasoning until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour and mix thoroughly to form the dough. (If you use a small food processor, blend in the flour by hand.)
- Shape the dough into a ball; if it’s crumbly, you may need to squeeze it with your hands.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ¼-inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes with the cookie cutter of your choice and place on an unoiled baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges and bottom.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Yields about 4 dozen 2½-inch hearts.
For a romantic presentation, we cut it with a heart-shaped cookie cutter and top with sundried tomato pesto.