Moosewood Restaurant and Ithaca Children’s Garden (ICG) are pleased to announce a partnership for the 2016 growing season, one Read more →
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- sprinkling of nutmeg or cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Lightly butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Using a long sharp knife, cut the squash in half lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and cut each half crosswise into ½-inch slices.
- Arrange the squash slices in a single layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until softened.
- With a spatula, turn over the squash slices and brush on the melted butter.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and with nutmeg or cinnamon if you wish.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
Best position to avoid rolling:
Use a long sharp knife. With both hands on the knife, one grasping the handle and the other flat (fingers straight) on the tip end cushioned with a pot holder or towel, place the center of the blade lengthwise along the middle of the squash. Lean onto the knife, using your body weight for leverage, and cut through the squash, making sure all of your fingers stay above the blade.
In place of brown sugar, you can use maple syrup. Add it to the melted butter.
To safely cut a whole acorn squash in half, place it on a cutting board, finding the