Moosewood’s summer dinner hours are 5:30-9pm nightly.Read more →
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups peeled and cubed eggplant
- ½ cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 cup chopped zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 2 green peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups tomato juice
- ½ cup peanut butter
- Steam or boil the sweet potato cubes until just tender.
- Meanwhile, sauté the garlic, ginger, and spices in oil for one minute.
- Add the onions and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, eggplant and a small amount of vegetable stock or water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and peppers and continue to simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and add them to the stew along with the tomato juice and peanut butter. Stir well.
- Simmer on very low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Serve on rice, couscous or millet.
At Moosewood we garnish this stew with optional hard-boiled egg halves, and pineapple and banana slices.
Variations popular at Moosewood:
Substitute 3 cups of chopped green cabbage, and 1½ to 2 cups chopped okra for the eggplant, and add 1 cup of apple or apricot juice and some chopped fresh cilantro leaf.
Reprinted from New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Copyright © 1987 by Moosewood, Inc. Ten Speed Press, publisher.